Linguaskill - from Cambridge
Linguaskill is a computer-based, multi-level test offering a complete picture of your English abilities, with fast and accurate testing of all four language skills: reading, listening, writing, and speaking.
One test for all levels between A1 and C1!
Linguaskill is being accepted from the Austrian authorities and the AMS
You can take the Linguaskill General test in order to prove your English skills for applications for the red-white-red card. You have to complete all language components. You don´t have to decide about which level to take, A2 or B1, when registering for the test. This means that the test is suitable for all abilities. You will get a computer-generated Test Report within 2 working days after the test, there is no additonal waiting for printed certificates or other documents. This Test Report can then be presented to the authorities.
Authorities, Employers and Universities can easily and quickly verify all Linguaskill results via this portal with a unique certificate code.
Reasons for Linguaskill:
- Fast results: You will get the Test Report within about 2 working days after your test day via e-mail. With a computer-generated Test Report, there is no waiting for printed certificates or other documents
- Results are aligned to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR), the international standard for describing language ability
- Multilevel-test: Linguaskill covers all levels between A1 and C1+
- Last minute registration - possible until the working day before your exam!
Linguaskill results - the Test Report will show you:
- your Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) Level for each skill tested – the CEFR is the international benchmark for describing language ability – which means you can compare Linguaskill results to international standards (A1 to C1+)
- an average Cambridge English Scale score and associated CEFR level
- your Cambridge English Scale score for each skill tested – this allows you to quickly understand what your level of English is
- an explanation of what each score means in terms of English language ability – you can see where you have performed well, and where you can improve
- whether you took the Business or General test.
Linguaskill Anywhere - Take the test online!
- Choose any day and take the test online from home.
- Please make sure you have a calm and enclosed test enviroment and your euqipment complies with all technical specifications.
- Through your camera and microphone you will be audio-visually recorded and event logs will be saved in the background.
- All Linguaskill tests are monitored for potential malpractice. Malpractice constitutes any attempt to breach test security and obtain a fraudulent result that is not a true reflection of your level of English.
- Linguaskill tests taken online will be reviewed after the test event and if you are seen to have engaged in fraudulent activity, you will receive a score of zero for your test.
- Note that all videos of proctoring sessions will be deleted after a period of 6 months.
- You must be at least 16 years old.
- You have a computer with a headset, webcam and microphone as well as a stable internet connection.
- You have a secure and enclosed test enviroment suitable to take a test.
- Only laptop or desktop computers. (Tablets or mobile devices are not allowed.)
- Operating system (for PC): Windows 7 or newer systems.
- Adobe Reader to open PDF.
- For the Speaking test: Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
2. Webcam, speaker and microphone
- Internal or external
1. Test enviroment
- It must be a private location where you will be free from disruption.
- The room should be well lit and have walls and a closed door.
- You must not interact with anyone else during the test, make sure noone can interrupt you.
- You will not be able to access any personal items during the test, including watches, electronic devices, dictionaries, food, hats, handbags, purses or wallets. Your location and deskspace must be clear of any of these items. On your desk, you may only have blank paper and pencil, and water in a clear plastic bottle with the label removed.
- You are not permitted to use a second monitor or have a second monitor anywhere in the test room.
- You must take a valid ID to the test as you will need to submit a live image of your ID before you start the test. Valid forms of ID include your passport, identity card and biometric residence permit (if a photo is included). The ID must contain your full name and a photo of yourself on the same side.
- Face coverings, including face masks, must be removed for the initial photo and duration of the test.
2. Notes and recordings
- Taking notes during the test is not permitted. Das Schreiben von Notizen währen des Tests ist nicht erlaubt.
- It is forbidden to record the test session in any way (i.e. audio, video and any other way).
Here you can download the registration form for our Linguaskill exams.
Please send the completed and signed registration form, including a copy of your passport, via e-mail to .
Linguaskill Anywhere - Registration Form + Candidate Guidlines
You will find a technical guide (for Linguaskill Anyhwere) at the back of the registration form.
Linguaskill is available as two options, General and Business. This gives you the ability to choose the sort of language that will be tested, based on your objectives.
- Linguaskill General: tests language used in daily life, test topics include studying and working, making future plans, travel and technology.
- Linguaskill Business: tests language used in a business and corporate setting, test topics include the buying and selling of products or services, the office, business travel and human resources.
Both options are computer-based. Please let us know on your registration form which option you would like to choose.
Length: about 60–85 minutes (adaptive)
The Reading and Listening module is adaptive, so there is not a fixed number of questions. Each question the candidate answers helps the computer to understand their level better. The test finishes when the candidate has answered enough questions for Linguaskill to identify their level accurately.
Linguaskill General - Reading and Listening Sample Test
Linguaskill Business - Reading and Listening Sample Test
|Read and select||Candidates read a notice, label, memo or letter containing a short text and choose the sentence or phrase that most closely matches the meaning of the text. There are three possible answers.|
|Gapped sentences||Candidates read a sentence with a missing word (gap) and choose the correct word to fill the gap. There are three or four choices for each gap.|
|Multiple-choice gap-fill||Candidates choose the right word or phrase to fill the gaps in a text. There are three or four choices for each gap.|
|Open gap-fill||Candidates read a short text in which there are some missing words (gaps) and write in the missing word in each gap.|
|Extended reading||Candidates read a longer text and answer a series of multiple-choice questions. The questions are in the same order as the information in the text.|
|Listen and select||Candidates listen to a short audio recording and answer a multiple-choice question with three options.|
|Extended listening||Candidates listen to a longer recording and answer a series of multiple-choice questions based on it. The questions are in the same order as the information they hear in the recording.|
Length: 45 minutes
The Writing module asks candidates to input answers using a computer keyboard. The Writing module includes two parts, each carrying 50% of the total marks.
Linguaskill General - Writing sample test
Linguaskill Business - Writing sample test
|Candidates read a short prompt, usually an email. They use the information in the prompt and the three bullet points to write an email of at least 50 words. Candidates should spend about 15 minutes on this.|
Candidates read a short text outlining a scenario and respond using the information in the scenario and the three bullet points.
Linguaskill General candidates will write at least 180 words to a wider audience and may be asked to produce a variety of text types (e.g. review, article, web post).
Linguaskill Business candidates will write a letter or report of at least 180 words, often to a manager or staff within the company or to external clients.
Length: 15 minutes
The Speaking module is taken using a computer with a microphone and headphones. Questions are presented to the candidate through the computer screen and headphones, and their responses are recorded.
Linguaskill Business Speaking is assessed by human examiners. Linguaskill General Speaking is assessed by using human examiners or market-leading auto-marking technology, known as hybrid marking. Results will be available within 48 hours.
There are five parts to the Speaking module, each carrying 20% of the total marks.
Linguaskill General - Speaking sample test
Linguaskill Business - Speaking sample test
Part 1 (interview)
The candidate answers eight questions about themselves (the first two questions are not marked).
Part 2 (reading aloud)
The candidate reads eight sentences aloud.
Part 3 (long turn 1)
The candidate is given a topic to talk about for one minute. 40 seconds are allowed for preparation.
Part 4 (long turn 2)
The candidate is given one or more graphics (for example a chart, diagram or information sheet) to talk about for one minute. One minute is allowed for preparation.
Part 5 (communication activity)
The candidate gives their opinions in the form of short responses to five questions related to one topic. 40 seconds are allowed for preparation.
We can highly recommend booking this online preparation course created by the University of Cambridge for just € 99!
This course is specifically designed to prepare you for the Linguaskill test. It consists of 4 modules and includes approximately 10 hours of practice materials for each of the 4 skills. It also includes sample tests to work through at your own pace on the computer.
Please don´t hesitate to contact us if you want to book Private Lessons (online or our Institute in Vienna) with one of our English native speaker teachers in Vienna.
You will get your login information once we received your payment.
Each Linguaskill course module includes:
- 10 hrs for Reading, 10 hrs for Listening, 10 hrs for Writing and 10 hrs for Speaking
- Practice materials for levels A2 - C1
- Two complete sample tests
- Topics based on English for everyday work, with helpful hints and tricks for both Linguaskill General and Linguaskill Business
- An overview of the Linguaskill test parts
- Chapters based on for the test relevant topics, including detailled and authentical practice for each type of question in the test
- Tips on how to improve your self-confidence and test performance
Please have a look at this Demo to see some examples:
Course Demo (only Reading + Listening)